Dear Prospective Candidate;
Thank you for your interest in serving on the Canadian Cerebral Palsy Sports Association Board of Directors.
The Canadian Cerebral Palsy Sports Association (CCPSA) is the national governing body for the Paralympic sport of Boccia in Canada, with a mandate to represent, promote and advance the sport in Canada. In addition, the CCPSA has a broader mandate to foster and promote opportunities to participate in sport and physical activity for those with Cerebral Palsy and related disabilities.
Canadians with cerebral palsy and related disabilities have access to and are inspired to achieve personal excellence and embrace lifelong participation in sport and physical activity, while Canada is a leading nation in boccia.
We collaborate with partners to increase the participation of Canadians with cerebral palsy and related disabilities in sport and physical activity, while leading, developing and growing boccia from grassroots, to producing World and Paralympic Champions.
Our Core Values
- Excellence: We display a commitment to excellence in all areas and to achieving outstanding results. “Every day, every way”.
- Resilience: We demonstrate perseverance, an open-minded approach that is flexible and adaptable, yet consistent. “#hanginthere”
- Inclusivity: We believe in access and inclusion, equitable opportunities, and an open door for all participants.
- Collaboration: To truly achieve success and make a difference, we understand it is essential to work together in partnership.
In 2018, the following positions are up for election at the CCPSA Annual General Meeting to be held September 16th, 2018 via teleconference.
- Vice President (initial one-year term)
- Director at Large*
*The CCPSA Board of Directors have the intent to increase the size of the Board to a number of six (6). Therefore there will be two (2) Director at Large positions to be filled in 2018.
Directors shall be elected for two year terms, except where an election is held to fill the unexpired portion of a term, to a maximum of three terms.
You should be prepared to devote approximately 5 hours a month to the Board, including monthly meetings, plus at minimum one (1) in-person, two-day meeting per year.
The Board will support the work of CCPSA and provide mission based leadership and strategic governance, while annual business operations are led by CCPSA’s Executive Director (ED).
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Leadership, governance and oversight;
- Guidance and leadership to the ED as s/he implements the CCPSA Strategic Plan and annual Operational Plan;
- Reviewing outcomes, expected results and Key Performance Indicators created in CCPSA’s Strategic Plan and annual Operational Plan for evaluating their impact, and regularly measuring their performance and effectiveness using those metrics;
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings;
- Approving CCPSA’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions;
- Being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities;
- Contribute to the ED annual evaluation;
- Assist in identifying and recruiting other Board Members;
- CCPSA Policy development, review and approval;
- Ensure that board resolutions are carried out;
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments;
- Representing CCPSA to stakeholders, and acting as an ambassador for the organization.
The CCPSA Board of Directors has identified the following preferred skills and competencies for incoming Board Members (minimum four to apply):
Belief in/Support of Mission Board of Director Experience
Succession Planning Knowledge of Parasport/Canadian Sport System
Human Resources Financial Management
Leadership Fund Raising
Organizational Management Grant Writing
Risk Management Technology/IT
Lobbying/Advocacy Strategic Planning
Any individual who is eighteen (18) years of age or older, has the power under law to contract, who is not an employee or a paid contractor of CCPSA, and who supports the aims and objectives of CCPSA may be nominated for election to the Board of Directors.
Service on CCPSA’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and
Accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
Candidate Application Package
Candidate application packages must include the following items to be considered by the CCPSA Board of Directors:
- Written resume and two (2) letters of reference supporting applicable competencies listed above;
- Cover letter (max. 500 words) including why you would like to serve on the CCPSA Board, the value you would bring to the Board and organization;
- Nominations must be accompanied by a nomination form, signed by the nominator, nominee and a current voting member of the CCPSA Board of Directors. 2018 Nomination Form EN
July 5, 2018: Call for Nominations
August 27, 2018: Close of Call for Nominations
September 4, 2018: CCPSA Board of Directors selected
September 14-16, 2018: Introduction of Board members for the coming year at the CCPSA Board Meeting and Annual General Meeting
If you have questions regarding your candidate application package, please contact Peter Leyser, Executive Director at email@example.com or by calling (613) 748-1430 x 1
Please submit your completed application by 4 p.m. ET, August 27, 2018 to the attention of Jane Dukovich firstname.lastname@example.org.